I will be sharing on a topic of “Being remarkable” on Monday night.
To be clear, building a reputation for being outstanding or remarkable is a journey built over years. It involves consistent choices, authentic character and building a business that is “remarked” upon. (For the right reasons!)
We use GrowthWheel at the CFE to encourage an action orientation. (Make decisions and take action)
What do you think about these principles on decisions or choices?
You are designed to choose….and defined by Choice.
The freedom to choose may be the most powerful attribute and precious resource in your life.
It shapes who you become, how you express yourself, the success you achieve, and your influence in the world
If you are aiming to be remarkable and build a remarkable business, one of the areas you will need to battle is the area of complacency. Complacency may be defined as “a feeling of calm satisfaction with your own abilities or situation that prevents you from trying harder”.
Here are 5 ways to address complacency and build excellence…..
Declare war on complacency
- Take responsibility for your own education. You will be unchanged 5 years from now except for 2 things, the people you meet and the resources (books) you read. My own journey means I need to grow in understanding the world of venture capitalism. This is a new area entirely, but one I need to up the ante on. Guess what I will be doing for the next 6 months?!
- Learn as though you will live forever. Eric Hoffer said, “In times of drastic change, it is the learners who inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists.”
- Get comfortable being uncomfortable. We live in a world that quickly forgets-a world that takes no pity on the person who gets lazy about learning, about finding ways to get smarter, better, faster. Each success you experience only buys you an opportunity to continue to play the game, and the game is constantly changing.
- Be a guru-a junction box for knowledge. Bill Gates wrote in his book “Business@the Speed of thought”, The most meaningful way to differentiate your company from your competition, the best way to put distance between yourself and the crowd, is to do an outstanding job with information. How you gather, manage, and use information will determine whether you win or lose”.
- Play to win vs. playing not to lose. Playing not to lose may result in a tombstone that reflects:- He didn’t take too many risks, he didn’t trust too many people, he didn’t do too many adventurous things in his life, and he didn’t accomplish as much as he could have, but he did arrive at death….unscathed.
Making consistent character choices that build a remarkable business and a remarkable reputation.