Second bite…at overcoming fear
Last week we opened the topic of managing fear before it manages you. I would like to carry on that theme.
Here are ten things one can do when confronted by fear. (Thanks to Kevin and Jackie Freiberg)
Overcoming your fears
- Do something. Anything. Fear feeds on inaction.
- Make a decision. Let go of the belief that you can’t make a choice until you are certain of the outcome. Fear feeds on indecision.
- Imagine the very worst thing that could happen and decide what you would do if it did happen. Fear feeds on the unknown.
- Imagine the very best thing that could happen, and how you would feel if it did happen. Fear feeds on feelings of unworthiness
- Say “anything is possible”, instead of “this is not possible”. Fear feeds on feelings of impossibility.
- Say “I can” and “why not” instead of “ I cannot”. Fear feeds on negativity
- Look for truth instead of hiding from facts. Fear feeds on lies.
- Take in air instead of holding your breath. Fear feeds on suffocation.
- Embrace mistakes instead of pretending that you won’t make any. Fear feeds on protectionism
- Take one step today instead of waiting to run a marathon tomorrow. Fear feeds on waiting for the right time.
I trust these simple nuggets will help face …..and overcome fear.