This afternoon I would like to look at an attribute that aspiring entrepreneurs and engaged people tend to have present in their approach to life and business.
It is the orientation towards taking action.
Why is it important? Well as Mary Kay Ash says “Ideas are a dime a dozen. People who implement them are priceless.” The world is full of incredible ideas that never go anywhere because great ideas are useless without someone full of passion to implement them.
When I consider successful entrepreneurs in general, and also the example of some South African entrepreneurs specifically, I see this attribute contributing to gains and successes in the long run.
With that in mind, I thought I would share 4 things that I have applied in my own life that has given me some momentum. Most of them are not new, yet I may have added a small dimension in applying them.
- Do something every day that takes you forward to your key outcomes and purpose.
This applies equally to our careers and the entrepreneurial journey. I want to scale my writing, and consequently I will either read something, write something or think about communication…….every day. Thus when I need to write this blog, I have generated a few ideas in advance
- Devise an action strategy that works for you.
I realise that people are wired differently and that not everyone responds equally well to goal setting and getting. Yet there is huge value in devising an action plan that works for you. A client reminded me of this axiom, “If it’s not on paper, its vapour!” I have found that a large percentage of my goals get done. That gives me momentum. In addition, the more important goals tend to rise to the top. That’s delivery.
- Eat the big frogs first.
Brian Tracey writes about identifying the biggest, most important actions for the day, and doing them first. Completing these “bullfrogs” tends to give you more focus and a sense of accomplishment that makes the “tadpoles” easier to swallow and finish.
- Finally, take time to celebrate the gains….. and move on.
It is most helpful to pause and reflect on your accomplishments. Have a cup of coffee and let it sink in. Be quick to commend the team when it is a team effort.
Then turn towards the next project or challenge, and take it on with enthusiasm, experience and expectation.
Finally, here are 4 powerful quotes on action for your consideration:-
- Take action! An inch of movement will bring you closer to your goals than a mile of action. Steve Maraboli
- Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes but don’t quit. – Conrad Hilton
- Do you want to know who you are? Don’t ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you. – Thomas Jefferson
- Dream big, start small, but most of all, start. – Simon Sinek
You are what you do, not what you plan to do….