What will you take into 2021?
Here we are in the penultimate month of 2020. Do you also feel as if the year has somewhat escaped you?
We are in the 8th month of lockdown, and it appears as if we will move into 2021 with some form of lockdown and precaution in place.
The impact of the Global epidemic hardly needs clarifying. From loss of life, to loss of livelihood and loss of “human connectedness”, there is hardly a soul that has not been affected by the epidemic and consequent lockdown. Lockdown has been acknowledged as the global word for 2020.
Yet there have been a few interesting upsides of a overwhelmingly “down” epidemic. The oft-quoted line about not letting a crisis go to waste has rarely been more relevant.
Here are some things to consider for small businesses:-
Our economy is highly dependent on the activity and growth of small businesses. SMEs across South Africa represent more than 98 percent of businesses, employ between 50 and 60 percent of the country’s workforce across all sectors, and are responsible for a quarter of job growth in the private sector. Broadly speaking, SMEs are pursuing several common strategies to support their success at this time in the following domains: financial stability; access to new markets and customers; a stable supply chain; strong customer engagement; a healthy workforce; and a robust post-crisis strategy. (McKinsey report)
We have some 6 weeks left to prepare ourselves for 2021. Here are some suggested actions for small businesses in approaching the new year
Conduct a review and ask questions such as :-
- What did we learn from 2020?
- What can we address and change? (Within our ability and ambit)
- What partnerships can we strengthen and which new partnerships can we pursue?
Conduct appropriate research on the factors impacting your industry and small businesses
- Where could you locate great and relevant information on your business/Industry? (I refer as example, to the Mckinsey report)
- What networks could you enter or enlarge? “You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want” Zig Ziglar
- Most importantly, how can you implement the best research findings that apply within your context?
How may you press the refresh button for your business and life?
One way is to revisit your vision. Vision without action is merely a dream. Action without vision just passes the time. Vision with action can change the world. Joel A. Barker
In moving towards 2021, you may be somewhat strengthened by this simple strategy……
- Write your vision down (If its not on paper…its vapour)
- Say it simply (so that those outside your industry may easily understand)
- Make your vision compelling. (So that those who must implement are engaged, excited and enthused)
To a better, stronger 2021