Work….how do you see it?
I trust you are valuing this public holiday in honour of workers day?
Here’s a shout out to all those who have added value to others through their work and contribution. Well done!
That got me to thinking how the whole subject of work and how our perspective on work can affect how we “do the stuff of work”.
Here are 5 reasons why I think we should choose to be engaged at work…..
Engagement at work means you will…
Live beyond the expectations of your harshest critic…the voice in your head.
Discover and use your strengths. And many more will gain from that choice.
Be less likely to have regrets as you will be constantly asking if there is a better way; a new approach; a stronger contribution.
Be a contributor rather than a consumer. An engaged person recognises the challenges of daily life, yet chooses to live in a way that their “deposits “ outweigh their “withdrawals”
Be both successful and significant. You are designed to excel, and by choosing to engage, you give vent to that design and output.
Here are 21 quotes for work that I trust will challenge you to choose engagement rather than disengagement.
1. “It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.” – Babe Ruth29
2. “I’m a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.” – Thomas Jefferson
3. “I have learned that real angels don’t have gossamer white robes and Cherubic skin, they have calloused hands and smell of the days’ sweat.” – Richard Evans
4. “A dream doesn’t become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work.” – Colin Powell
5. “My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people: those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition.” – Indira Gandhi
6. “Happiness is the real sense of fulfillment that comes from hard work.” – Joseph Barbara
7. “Hard work keeps the wrinkles out of the mind and spirit.” – Helena Rubinstein
8. “No great achiever – even those who made it seem easy – ever succeeded without hard work.” – Jonathan Sacks
9. “Hard work helps. It has never killed anyone.” – Unknown
10. “The highest reward for man’s toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it.” – John Ruskin
11. “You learn the value of hard work by working hard.” – Unknown
12. “Nobody’s a natural. You work hard to get good and then work to get better. It’s hard to stay on top.” – Paul Coffey
13. “Don’t wish it were easier. Wish you were better.” – Jim Rohn
14. “All growth depends upon activity. There is no development physically or intellectually without effort, and effort means work.” – Calvin Coolidge
15. “Talent means nothing, while experience, acquired in humility and with hard work, means everything.” – Patrick Suskind
16. “The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.” – Jimmy Johnson
17. “If you don’t burn out at the end of each day, you’re a bum.” – George Lois
18. “If you try and lose then it isn’t your fault. But if you don’t try and we lose, then it’s all your fault.” – Orson Scott Card
19. “Embrace the pain to inherit the gain.” – Habeeb Akande
20. “Talent is what God gives us, Skill is what we give back to Him.” – Eliel Pierre
21. “The only thing that overcomes hard luck is hard work.” – Harry Golden